Life after childbirth: when the discharge stops

Pregnancy and childbirth is a heavy burden for the body of any woman. Therefore, after the birth of the long-awaited child, the mother will still recover for some time. The restoration of a woman’s body is primarily signaled by the so-called suckers — discharge from the uterus.

They contain dead epithelium, various mucus from the neck, dead blood cells, and all this must necessarily leave the body so that all its vital functions and systems can recover and work normally.

Discharge very often worries young mothers, because there is no definite answer to the question of how long they will go. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the organism, how the childbirth proceeded, whether there were a lot of tears and cuts, or there were only small stretches. The point is that every tear or cut is a wound that takes time to heal completely. In addition, very often this type of injury can provoke inflammation in the uterine cavity or vagina..

All these factors directly affect the duration of the discharge..

It should be noted that the nature of the discharge after childbirth changes over time. For example, bloody discharge, in which blood clots are clearly visible, lasts about four days — usually all this time the woman in labor is under the supervision of doctors in the postpartum department. A week after childbirth, the discharge becomes less intense and grayish-brown, and after another week it acquires a yellow-transparent color, and can practically stop.

If after this period the discharge does not stop “smearing”, then additional reasons should be sought for the situation not to normalize. In order for the discharge to stop going as quickly as possible, the process of contraction of the uterus should be accelerated, which can be done if the woman moves as much as possible, breastfeed the baby at his request and, for example, perform an external massage.

If the discharge has acquired a specific unpleasant odor, become purulent or with excessive clots, then you should immediately go to the hospital, the gynecologist will give you advice and prescribe proper treatment.